Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Gravity Racing Challenge 2014

Last weekend was a pretty busy one for us as our entire Saturday was spent at Derby Downs for the Gravity Racing Challenge.   I showed you pictures of the much smaller event in Cleveland HERE.  Our team was there only to experience a "test run" and to get a feel for how the car was driving before the race in Akron.



Saturday was the actual event in Akron, and we had to be there bright and early so that our daughter could check in with her team, and be prepared for the parade at 8AM.  There are all of the participants (above) marching down the hill led by a local marching band.  I'm not going to lie... it felt like kind of a big deal to this former homeschooling mom.


If you've never been to an event like this, let me just tell you... it can be slow-moving if all of the cars aren't in position at the correct times.  Also, they run on a wet track, so although the rain halted them temporarily, they were back at it again after the puddles [and the HAIL] had been swept from the track.  Yep.  It was an interesting day.  For me, it was one of those days that I just could NOT get warm.  I had on a t-shirt, hoodie, fleece jacket, and quilted windbreaker -- and there were stretches when my sweet hubby donated his Carhartt to the cause!

While it rained, they had the chance to get all the cars lined up so that when it stopped raining... they were ready for a really long and consistent stretch of racing.  That was the best part of the day.

My mom -- and my family.

It was fun having my parents there too -- and they were good sports about sitting out in the rain!

Dad and I.

Our team didn't "place" this year.  We won three heats, and then we were beat out by our own district's intermediate school car.  Kind of a BOO!/Oh yay! situation if you know what I mean.


All in all, it was a good day of fun made complete by:
  1. our daughter's immense enjoyment of the entire experience
  2. a quick mid-afternoon run to Dunkin' Donuts for hot coffee and doughnuts {Seriously, this was KEY to finishing the day strong.  There were no hot drinks for sale at the track, and it was COLD.}
  3. the race for HOT SHOWERS upon returning home  {LOL, yes, we are wimps!}


(Crazy kid!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...