Thursday, June 6, 2013

On Raising Grateful Kids

Yesterday morning was busy at our house.  Everyone was running in opposite directions in various time frames.  I had a meeting here at home, but the last one out the door was my son -- and he was running a little behind.  Ordinarily, he would've enjoyed a bowl of honey-nut Cheerios (one of his favs), but there was no time. As he finished getting dressed, he called down to me and asked if I would pour some Cheerios in a bag for him to take on-the-run.  I decided to put the cereal in a tall cup, so he could "drink" them as he drove.  Easier to lift a cup (I thought) than a handful of cereal.  While I was at it, I also put some orange juice over ice in a cup with a lid and straw.  Out the door he went, and I was off to tidy up the house for my meeting.


After he arrived at work, he sent me this text:  "Thanks for the yummy breakfast. :)"

I'm not going to lie.  That simple text set me back on my heels a little.  I mean c'mon folks.  It was dry cheerios and OJ.  But at that moment, I thanked God that I had a precious son who could appreciate something so basic.

I do a lot of "preaching" to my kids about being appreciative... not taking things for granted... not approaching the world as if you deserve anything.  Mind you, my kids are pretty good about this.  Because of various part-time jobs that I have held, they have been in unique positions to receive certain privileges.  But, I always wanted them to look at that as a gift, and not anything that they deserved or were owed.

I'll be the first one to tell you that my sweet hubby and I are not perfect parents.  And, though I think our kids are pretty amazing, they aren't perfect either.  But... a THANK YOU for cheerios and juice on-the-run??  I don't mind telling you -- I was a more-than-a-little encouraged!!


Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone.  ~G.B.Stern


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have awesome kids who are thankful for even the little things you do to show your love for them! Good job there Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't that sweet of him. You raised him right!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...