Friday, September 7, 2012

Life Lessons 101

Do you remember the day you realized that everyone in the world was not good and kind with only good intentions?


I clearly remember being in a meeting at work when I was a college student.  Somehow we were discussing how something SHOULD have been done, and what the intentions were behind what HAD been done.  Basically, some of my co-workers thought that there had been less-than-stellar motives involved.

And. I. Was. Stunned.

I guess that up until then, it had never occurred to me that someone might do something intentionally for the wrong reasons or with ill-intent -- I mean, THE BAD GUYS? Yes.  But... nice people that I interact with on a daily basis?  Surely not.

Everyone knew my surprise -- and laughed, saying I'd learn some day.  I was stunned by how jaded they were.  I felt naive, and pretty stupid.


But years later, I still tend to look at people and believe the best -- until or unless they prove otherwise.

And, truth be told... sometimes they DO prove otherwise.  And it's disappointing.  Sometimes devastating.

My sweet girl learned this yesterday...

... and my heart just about broke for her.

A little incident occurred which was a really, really small blip on the screen of life -- but a big deal in the moment... when my sweet, trusting girl who always believes the best had... a learning experience.  Today, she's probably a little more wary of people's intentions.


But you know what?  I will still encourage her to always look for and SEE the good in people -- until or unless they prove otherwise.


Ephesians 4:31-32
"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ also forgave you."


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post, Sally! I try to live by this same philosophy. I'm sorry that S had to learn this lesson at all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...