Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Growing Pains

The other day, I spent some time with my two nephews and my niece.  They are each so precious and special to me.  I love zeroing in on things they love, and having good discussions with them.

A few years ago for Christmas, I gave them each a certificate as an invitation to a "make-your-own-pizza party."  What fun we had making pizza creations, and watching movies together.


The next year, I decided to change it up a little, and so we ate "delivery" pizza (specifically, delivered by my sweet hubby), and baked, frosted, and decorated cupcakes for dessert -- and for them to take home.  That was great fun as well.

(Always a "crazy" picture after the serious ones!)

Over dinner the other night, we had a discussion about what our next little party should be.

Last Christmas, my sister had some good gift ideas for each of the kids, so we didn't make party plans.  On Christmas day, there were a few comments from the kids about what our next party would be... the party that didn't happen.  There have been several comments since then as well.  They are always planning... and then mentioning to me what they'd like to do next.

We came to the conclusion that perhaps next we will eat "delivery" pizza, and
bake cookies.  Oh, I could already see the dreaming in their eyes as we imagined what kind of cookies we would bake.  I'm thinking that I know the gift I must give this Christmas, don't you?

Lately, these three kiddos have taken to coming to me with their specific wish lists for birthdays and Christmas.  It makes me so happy that they trust me with these sincere requests, as I want so badly to give them something that they will love.

Yesterday, one nephew was commiserating over how much he wanted a "notebook" like his sister's.  I reminded him that he had a cool game system of his own, and of the "Toy Story 3" game that I gave him for his birthday.  But, what he really wants these days is his very own device for playing "Angry Birds."  I know, because we've had this talk before.

He was very thoughtful, looking off into the distance.  Then he said, "I'm not into those Toy Story characters any more, Aunt Sal."  This was news to me, and sounded like the beginning of an important discussion, so I sat up and listened.  When I expressed surprise at his statement, he said, "I don't like them too much any more because... they..... are cute."  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  He was so thought-FULL and sincere.  But, I could see where he was going with this, so I said, "Sometimes when we grow up, it isn't only our clothes that we outgrow, is it?  Sometimes we outgrow the toys and things that we love the most."  As he fingered a stack of Legos in his hand, I said, "I'll bet you'll never outgrow Legos!  They're great for kids of all ages.  Even Tyler (his much older cousin) still has Legos!  They're great for big kids, too - since they make you use your imagination!"  He thought about that, and seemed relieved to know that even if he felt like he had to give up his Toy Story friends, at least nobody would ask him to give up his Legos.


So now, the pressure is on.  To find something grown up -- but not too grown up. Something special enough to make my sweet nephew feel as if he has "arrived."  His birthday is in November.  I'm going to start looking now.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Sally. I think spending time with family is the best gift one can give. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids grow up so fast, I just want mine to stay little forever! I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!

    It looks like you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...