Monday, July 11, 2011

Sunday Sermon Notes

Our former pastor was in town on Sunday, and filled the pulpit.  My hubby and I made a hasty exit from our usual "current worship" to go to the "traditional" service.  It was wonderful to hear him preach.  His passion for God is inspiring.

This day, he talked about 4 "S's" that we should have... that we should bring to others... for the cause of Christ.

  • STORY.  Everyone has a story - as some famous talk-show host once said.  Do you know yours?  Sometimes I think I don't know mine yet.  The point being that we should have a story that we are willing to share with others that points them in the direction of Christ.
  • SCRIPTURE.  Do you have a favorite scripture?  Something that is super meaningful to you?  It may even go along with your story.  I never seem to be able to zero in on just one scripture -- or maybe it's just the stress of having to pick one.  Lately though, I am especially loving Philippians 4:13 -  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"  A friend recently reminded me that the original text's meaning is endure (not "do" as we typically think) which really changes the spin on this verse for me.  "Endure" seems to indicate that there WILL be hardships, and there WILL be disappointments, but that I will be able to ENDURE them because of Christ's strength in me.  This is the reality of life.  I know that being a Christian does not mean that I will be without trials.  This verse is a great comfort to me when I feel alone in unhappy circumstances.
  • SONG.  I cannot possibly put into words the importance of music in my life.  I hang onto favorite scriptural lyrics, and they move me.  The song that has most deeply affected my life is "It Is Well With My Soul."  I first heard (or should I say "felt") this hymn at the memorial service for my aunt, when I was just a junior in high school.  If I heard the words, or sang the song before that, it was meaningless.  Today, it is so filled with meaning for me, that it is impossible for me to get through it without tears.  
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

  • SCENE.  Is there a scene that plays through your head of someone's commitment to the cause of Christ?  For our dear pastor, it was the scene of his adult daughter, on her death bed after battling cancer, and raising her hands to say, "I love Jesus!"  That plays over and over in his mind as a picture of faithfulness to our dear Savior.  It has made a lasting impression on him, to say the very least.
I share these ideas with you not because I have all the answers.  In fact, I already admitted that I may not even know my own "story" yet.  But I hope, in sharing this, that I have inspired you to think about these topics in the same way that our pastor inspired me.

I Peter 3:15
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone
who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
But do this with gentleness and respect..."


(As a side-note, the song "It Is Well With My Soul" has a story behind it.  You can read it HERE.)

In addition, we have recently begun to sing THIS VERSION in our "current" worship -- and I LOVE it!
CHORUS:
It is well, it is well,
Through the storm I am held.
It is well, it is well with my soul!


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...