Monday, May 16, 2011

Tongue Twisters, Expressions, and Classic Lines

When our kids were younger (maybe 2 and 4), if we said something that they took too literally, we would tell them, "It's just an expression...." - to assure them that we were, in fact, not speaking literally.

You know, like:

"That guy really gets my goat!"

My daughter from a very young age "got" that, and if she was ever unsure of what we meant, she'd say, "That's just an expression, right Mama?"

Flash forward to several days ago.  My daughter (13) and I were talking about a teen couple who had broken up - and wondering if they were still friends.  Since my daughter has not had a boyfriend yet, I bestowed this knowledge upon her:  "You know, sometimes when a guy and girl break up, it really hurts -- and it's hard to be just friends."  She just looked at me incredulously and said, "Mom, I DO watch T.V!"

Oh, well pardonnez-moi.  Sheesh.

Anyway, we had a good chuckle over that.

My, how she's grown up!

Today, my dear Hubby brought home a book from the library entitled Instant Genius (Fast Food for Thought - bite-size morsels of essential [and not so essential] knowledge) by The Knowledge Commons (2008 Portable Press).  We have barely scratched the surface of this book.  But, here's one factoid that we've learned:

Q:What is a gnomon?
A:The part of a sundial that casts a shadow.

So, at the dinner table, we brought up sundials, and asked the kids if (in relation to sundials) they knew what a gnomon was.  Our dear daughter said, "You mean like "Gnomon Ruminals?"  (Say it a few times out loud with a long first "o" in gnomon.)

Yes, Roman Numerals!!!!

VIII

We laughed because "Roman Numerals" has always been a tongue twister for her.  It made me think of all the other times we've laughed with her about the things that come out of her mouth.  Here are a few classics (apparently she was on a roll when she was 8 because I wrote them down!):

8 yrs. old:
  • She said to Mommy, who was wearing cute p.j.'s at the time... "You are so adorable!  You must take after me!"
  • Approaching Mommy, she says very seriously, "What does baby fat look like when it comes off?"
  • "Children have so many questions on their minds.  That's one of my favorite parts of being a child!"
  • After doing some Christmas shopping together, she said, "Did I ever tell you that apple-cinnamon is my favorite holiday fragrance?"  (seriously? -- you're eight!)
    Then there was the time that we were talking about someone who was curious, and we said, "You know what they say, "Curiosity killed the cat!"  After a moment, she said, "Mama, whose cat was it?"

    Oh, there is never a dull moment around here.  We never know what she will say next.

    By the way, the sweet 13-year-old of whom I speak has approved this post.  (Quick, hit "publish!")

    Angelica's Awesome Adventures
    These family moments make me smile!



     
    A "no rules" blog hop.


    5 comments:

    1. You gotta love the stuff that comes out of kids' mouths. This was a cute post. Thanks for the smile today, and thanks for linking up with us!

      ReplyDelete
    2. So cute! I bet you do take after her!
      I really wish blogging was around when my boys were little. I know I've forgotten the vast majority of the awesome things they said back in the day. And they still like to hear stories about themselves....even now!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! How Much Electric Does An Air Fryer Use

      ReplyDelete
    4. For this web site, you will see our account, remember to go through this info. Best Innsky Air Fryers

      ReplyDelete
    5. Beaver says I also have such interest, you can read my profile here: Click here

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...