Sunday, April 17, 2011

Always

It seems like just yesterday that we drove northward for my Great Aunt Ruth's 90th birthday dinner and celebration.  But, in a few weeks, she will be 94.  She was born in 1917, and is the last of 5 siblings (born 1909-1917), three of whom grew to adulthood (including my maternal grandma).  We visited Ruth recently, and I was struck (once again) by how she never changes.  She is one of the most consistent people I know -- her lifestyle, her positive attitude, and her graciousness as a hostess are always a constant.  We always say that her positive attitude has kept her young!

  • She is ab-so-lute-ly always positive.  Her glass is always half-full or FULL.
  • She always keeps her apartment neat and tidy --a place for everything, and everything in it's place.
  • She always has beautiful silk flower arrangements decorating her apartment -- according to the season.
  • She always is careful about what she buys or saves, because she lives in an apartment, and has limited storage.
  • She always keeps sweet mementos.
  • She always crocheted afghans for us through the years - and everyone in the family has at least one afghan handmade with love.  She would often ask if anyone needed an afghan, because she wanted to stay busy crocheting!  She is currently at work on a difficult rainbow patterned afghan.
Ruth and my mom - puzzling over an afghan pattern.
  • She is always the hostess with the most-est.
  • She always insists that she will sleep on the couch so that all of her guests can be comfy.  We've tried to argue, and truly -- it gets us nowhere.
  • She always cooks a great meal for us when we visit.  I LOVE how she combines old family favorites with new recipes -- always resulting in a great meal.
Serving up an amazing meal just minutes after we arrived!
  • She always tells us stories of the past as if they were just yesterday.  I have learned more about my heritage from her than from any other single person.
  • She has always proudly kept her big brother's photograph on her night table... How sweet is that?
My Great Uncle in his police uniform.
  • She always thinks the best of people, and gives them the benefit of the doubt.
  • She always remembers people fondly, and has loads of memories stored away. 
Me and my mom with Ruth.  We took scrapbooks to share with her.
  • She has always been one of the best role-models a girl could hope for.

      Sit Relax and Read

      When I think about my Aunt Ruth, I often think of one of the favorite gifts that I ever received from her.  She always wore Chantilly perfume - and I loved her fragrant hugs.  One year for Christmas, she gave me a sweet little pink compact filled with Chantilly solid perfume.  I was a pre-teen, and it made me feel SO grown up!




      1 comment:

      1. Wow bless your Aunt! Happy birthday to her! She looks great for 94!
        We're new fans from the sunday blog hop. hope you can stop by to say hi!
        http://www.boyzruleourworld.blogspot.com

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...