Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sleepless in Seattle

Well, okay -- not Seattle, but you get the idea.  It was a sleepless night for me.  For no reason in particular -- just everything in general.  A lost treasure.  A friend's anguish.  An event to plan.  A decision to be made.  Jobs in jeopardy.

Usually sleep is my escape.  There is nothing I like better than laying down at the end of a busy day, and putting it all out of my mind while I drift off to dreamland.  But, sleep eluded me last night. 

I prayed.  Then, I prayed some more.  I counted backwards.  I started with a higher number, and counted backwards again -- all things that usually work if there is any hesitancy on my body's part to sleep.  Not last night.

Just yesterday, I read this great quote...which I have since tried unsuccessfully to find again.  I remember the quote -- not the site.  (How bad is that?)  Anyways, the quote had something to do with worry keeping you from sleep.  The idea was that if that was the case, you should GET UP, and do something productive rather than laying there worrying.  (UPDATE:  I had to keep looking - it was driving me crazy.  The quote was found at Quote Garden and is from Dale Carnegie: "If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying.  It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.")

So, I got up.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything productive.  I had a cup of tea, I answered some e-mails.  Did a little tidying up around here.  Okay - maybe a little productive.  And then, when I could keep my eyes open no longer, I went back to bed, and slept immediately -- for about 2 hours, until it was time to get up.

Oh, today's going to be a l-o-n-g day.  I find myself thinking about "rest" already.  This song came to mind: "My Soul Finds Rest ~ Psalm 62", and I knew exactly which picture I wanted to include in this post.


My Soul Finds Rest ~ Psalm 62
 My soul finds rest in God alone, My Rock and my salvation,
A fortress strong against my foes, And I will not be shaken.
Though lips may bless and hearts may curse,
And lies like arrows pierce me,
I’ll fix my heart on righteousness, I’ll look to Him who hears me.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward;

Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

Find rest, my soul, in God alone

Amid the world’s temptations;
When evil seeks to take a hold
I’ll cling to my salvation.
Though riches come and riches go,
Don’t set your heart upon them;
The fields of hope in which I sow
Are harvested in heaven.

I’ll set my gaze on God alone,

And trust in Him completely;
With every day pour out my soul,
And He will prove His mercy.
Though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed the curse of death
And I am His forever.

O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah,

O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah,
O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah! hallelujah!


♫♫♪♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
May your soul find rest in God alone today.


1 comment:

  1. beautiful post, I understand very well how it feels not to get sleep and now that I am able to get full nights of rest I just love it. I hope tonight will be a much more restful night for you. May God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...