Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home Goals 2011

Do you have goals for your HOME?  This is something that I don't know if I've ever really had a conversation with myself about.  I mean, yes - I think of how I want our home to LOOK, which inevitably involves purchases, and therefore saving.  But - I haven't really followed through on a thought process about how I want our home to FEEL.

So, why am I thinking about this NOW?  Well, because The Nester and Susie Davis - The Good News Girl have both made recent posts about this very thing.  And they got me thinking.  In addition, I am reading The Reluctant Entertainer - every woman's guide to simple and gracious hospitality.  Sandy Coughlin, the author, says that we should invite people into our home to bless them, not to impress them.  (I know I've told you about this before, but it bears repeating, no?)

Several years ago, when we were selling some land, we had some realtors (a husband and wife team) into our home to discuss some details.  When the wife walked into our home, her comment was, "Oh, you can tell that love lives here!"  I was stunned.  First of all, this lady was basically a stranger to me.  Secondly, I had never even thought about what our home felt like to "strangers" -- or old friends, for that matter.  My concern had been making my home a safe and welcoming place for my family.  In doing so - I guess it was evident that we were a loving family, and that love dwelled within the walls of our home.

Fast forward 10+ years... Different home.  Smaller, but with more outdoor space - which is what we had sought after for our young family at the time (well, at least the "more outdoor space" part).

I have gotten past the phase of "wigging out" if a friend just stops by.  That used to put me in a tailspin.  Are the dishes out of the sink?  Are the beds made?  I need to vacuum! -- you get the idea.  My true friends don't come by to see the house anyways!

Regardless of whether or not the dishes are out of the sink, I want guests to feel love while they are here.


So, simply put - when people are in our home,
I want my efforts to be in blessing them, not impressing them.
I want to have a genuine spirit of welcome when guests arrive
~whether they have been invited,
or are just dropping by.


How about you?  Have you thought about goals for your HOME?

Just for fun:  I've linked up over at The Nesting Place.
There are lots of other people there who are setting HOME GOALS.
Check it out! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...