Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December 22nd ~ JOY


I've been reading a lot this year about JOY.  Specifically about things that bring you joy vs. things that rob you of joy.  As a result, I've been trying to recognize those things in my life as they relate to the Christmas season.

For example: one of my least favorite seasonal tasks is putting up the Christmas tree.  It is a frustrating process for me, at best, and I have come to realize - robs me of some joy.  My daughter is usually glad to do it, as she is the one most excited at the thought of the tree.  So, I am glad to hand that task over to her - and have learned to keep my mouth shut if she doesn't do things just the way I would.  Afterall, it always turns out beautifully, and I wouldn't want to be the one to rob her of her joy.


And then...I really wanted to make iced cut-outs this year, but wasn't sure if I'd have the time.  When I was at the store, I noticed the Pillsbury rolls of cookie dough, and couldn't help but think that those would make the process much easier for me.  So, I did a nice thing for myself.  I bought three rolls.

I rolled the Pillsbury dough out, and got started with the cookie cutters.  My daughter soon took over, and we worked as a team rolling out, cutting out, putting the cookies in and out of the oven.  It was kind of awesome, actually.  I love it that she is old enough to really participate in the process without a lot of chatter about the "how to."  We just quietly work side by side.  When all of the baking was completed, and the cookies had cooled, we got my son involved. He and my daughter got all of those cookies iced and decorated.  It was a nice stress-free process.  There was much laughter (and joy!) involved.  And there were rewards at the end!


I'm so glad that I took the time to realize the things that would rob me of joy - and took another route instead.

What seasonal tasks rob you of your joy?
* Do you have a "tradition" that you think you must follow - but it really means nothing to you? 
* Is there a task that someone else in the family would gladly do - if only they knew how you felt about it?
* Do you just need to change the way you do a particular task, and find an easier way?

Praying that you will think about the things that rob you of your joy this season, and consider what things you can do that will bring you joy instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...